Sunday, January 3, 2021

The Second Time Around

 I once actively pursued past times when I was young: kayaking on Montterey Bay; hiking in the Santa Cruz mountains; mountain biking on Mission Peak; or just reading a book while listening to my favorite jazz music.

Somehow, those past times became less important than the daily  grind of putting a roof over my head, food on the table, clothes on my back, and a few dollars in the bank for a rainy day.

That daily grind eventually became a 37-year "career" as a full-time employee and contractor ranging from pre-IPO startups to Fortune 500 companies in Silicon Valley: 17 jobs that lasted 6 months to 6 years (and  7 layoffs lasting 3 to 11 months).

As a full-time employee, the daily grind consisted of constantly looking over my shoulder after being let go despite working long hours to meet tight project deadlines.

As a contractor, the daily grind consisted of leaving without a trace after 6:00 pm since I no focus on the golden handcuffs (eg, health insurance, 401(k) plan, or stock options) that shackle full-time employees to the notion of "job security".

The daily grind eventually came to an end when I decided to move to a more leisurely (and affordable) lifestyle in the San Joaquin Valley near Sacramento (see Nothing Personal, Just Business).

Friends and family ask me what I’m doing now.  I reply that I'm on a sabbatical. I don't bring work home with me. I don't unwind from the stress of 60 hour work weeks that made me dread Mondays. I don't obsess about layoffs that made me dread Thursdays.

My attention is gradually returning to those past times that I once pursued. I live near Lodi Lake with direct access to the Mokelumne River for kayaking, hiking, and mountain biking.I also set aside time to just relax and read a book while listening to my favorite jazz music.

You see, my  life has always had a a meaning, purpose, and plan. I just have to remember that it's not up to me to know (or understand) all of the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Second Time Around (Postscript)

 I actively pursued many hobbies when I was young : hiking in the Santa Cruz mountains; kayaking on Montterey Bay;  mountain biking to Missi...